Primo Sports Soccer Academy follows BC Soccer Long Term Player Development and Canada Soccer Long Term Athlete Development model. Through carefully created age-appropriate programming with periodization in mind, we are able to
1. Promote lifelong enjoyment of physical activity.
2. Provide a structured player development pathway.
3. Provide best practices for elite player development.
4. Create long-term excellence.
When I -Srdjan Djekanovic - retired from professional soccer in 2010, we opened Primo Sports Soccer Academy. Growing up in Burnaby, with goal of playing University and Professional Soccer I had a challenging path to achieve my dreams. My parents sacrificed many things in order to support me, however navigating the pathway to professional soccer was a trial and error with no guidance and support from experts.
Through trials in Portugal and Scotland (later of which included training with Celtic FC at Celtic Park and sharing the home dressing room with Celtic legends such as Juninho, Artur Boruc, Chris Sutton, and being coached by Martin O'Neil) I found my way to UBC winning 2 National Championships and ended up having a 10 year professional soccer career, which included spells in Serbian top flight, and in North America with Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Toronto FC, and Montreal Impact.
It is our North Star at Primo Sports Soccer Academy to provide opportunities for development for children of all ages and abilities in a FUN and SAFE environment, and to support our top athletes achieve their dreams - be it playing at University level on a scholarship or playing soccer professionally.
Some of the guest coaches over the years have included:
- Alan Smart - Blackburn Rovers (English Championship
- Tony Caig - Livingston FC (Scottis Premier League)
- James Dachary - Scottish National Team
- Mike Norris - Whitecaps FC
- Richard Goddard - Whitecaps FC
- Didar Sandhu - Whitecaps FC
- Aleksandar Borojevic - Croatian National Team
- United States Soccer Federation B National Coaching License
- 3 years as Kwantlen University Head Coach, Men's Soccer - qualified for National Championships, finishing 5th
- 1 Year as UBC Assistant Coach, winning National Championship
- 8 seasons as Head Coach in BCSPL, winning 2 Provincial Championships
- Played 10 professional seasons
- Represented Canada at Senior and U20 level
- Led UBC to 2 National Championships as goalkeeper, first one in rookie season - after 12 years of UBC having won one
FUN FACT: First soccer player to play for all 3 - Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC, and Montreal Impact.